Brush 36 - 1971 AM General 2.5 ton 600 gal.

Rescue 35 - 1991 Peterbilt/Saulsbury

Operating primarily as an equipment carrier, it is outfitted with all the department’s technical rescue gear. The walk-in area features a command post, diver BC set-ups for rapid donning and a rehab area. In addition, it also carries rope rescue gear & related equipment for confined space operations.

Dedicated in 1969, this four bay station is home to the department’s entire apparatus fleet which is staffed by the six on-duty firefighters.

FIREHOUSES

MONUMENTS

ARTWORK

SLOGANS

KITSCHY

ANTIQUES

FIREMATIC HISTORY

Truck 34 - Pierce Lance 105’/1500 gpm/500 gal.

Staffed with a crew of three, it is equipped with 1,000’ of 5” LDH. It replaced both a 1970 & 1972 American LaFrance ladder (the department’s first aerial) and engine respectively.

Engine 32 - 2000 KME 1500 gpm/750 gal.

Operating as a rescue engine, it is equipped with a full set of Lucas extrication tools & air bags.

Engine 30 - 2007 Spartan/Marion 1500 gpm/1000 gal.

The newest rig in the fleet, it is first due to all alarms. Staffed with three of the six on-duty firefighters, it responds jointly with either Truck 34 for structure fires or Engine 32 for auto accidents as well as fires in non-hydranted areas of the district.

Special thanks to Fire Chief Ed Badamo for arranging this visit and the on-duty crew of Lt. Russ Jacobs, FF Glen Harvey, FF James Mastroianni, FF Nick Bozym & FF Jason Hurlbut for their hospitality & assistance in positioning the apparatus for photos.

Organized fire protection in the southern portion of Middletown was established in 1915 as the Russell Fire Brigade which was charged with plant protection of the Russell Manufacturing Co. In 1930, a Protective Association with voluntary donations was formed to protect the 25 square miles of the “South Farms” area. From 1930 through 1956, the department’s apparatus fleet was obtained - with a total of three apparatus and limited storage space, a Special Taxing District for fire protection was established in 1957 at which time a paid fire chief was hired. As the department grew, the combination staff of career and part time call personnel was eventually changed over in 1995 to the fully career staffed organization that exists presently.