OTHER STATES

FIREHOUSES

MONUMENTS

ARTWORK

SLOGANS

KITSCHY

ANTIQUES

FIREMATIC HISTORY

Engine 12-2 - 2003 Pierce Dash 2250 gpm/1000 gal.

Equipped with a 2250 gpm single stage pump, this rig can pull 3,000 gpm at draft. Seating eight (6 with SCBA), it is outfitted with a 10 kw generator and remote control deck gun. It’s equipment complement includes 2,000’ of supply line (1,200’ of 5” LDH, 800’ of 3”), a 600’ 1-3/4” rear attack line, 200’ 1-3/4” pre-connects, 150’ 1-3/4” bumper line and 60’ of suction hose. It is dedicated in memory of Alton Stevens, a long time member and father/grandfather to several active members.

Engine 12-1 - 1989 Pierce Lance 1500 gpm/500 gal./25A foam

Originally delivered with a conventional cab, this rig was re-built in 2004 into a four door cab-over with seating for six. It carries a 10kw generator, 20 gallons of foam and 800 lbs. of absorbent for spill control stored in beavertail compartment hoppers. It is outfitted with 1,600’ of supply line (1,000’ of 5” LDH, 600’ of 3”), 200’ 1-3/4” pre-connects, a 150’ 1-3/4” front trash line, 40’ of hard suction and 26’ of ground ladders.


This rig has a storied history involving four generations of the Stevens family riding on it - charter member and great grandfather Andrew was carried to his funeral aboard it, this was the last truck driven by grandfather Alton before he was carried by it to his funeral, grandson Bryan (the current chief) rode it to his wedding and grandson Andrew rode to his first fire with Grandpa Alton aboard.

Special thanks to Glen Gardner’s members particularly Chief Bryan Stevens, Mark Stevens and Jim Stevens for their hospitality and assistance in providing detailed information on the storied history of their department and its’ rigs.

Glen Gardner Fire Co. No. 1

Hunterdon County Station 12

Established in 1923 following a train derailment that burned down one quarter of the town, GGFC provides Fire and Rescue protection to the Borough of Glen Gardner. Originally known as Eveland’s Tavern and later Sodom, the town was the named in honor of the Gardner Frame and Cane Factory, a basket manufacturer that employed 1,000 employees during the 1920’s.   


An interesting fact is that the company has maintained a junior firefighter program (originally known as “runners”) since its’ inception and had their first brush truck, a 1947 Dodge Power Wagon built by the juniors as a project in 1974.

Brush 1284 - 2004 Ford F350/Reading/Darley

360 gpm/200 gal./10 gal. Class A foam

Featuring a Line-X® coated Reading utility body with a 100’ booster reel, it is outfitted with 200’ of 1” forestry hose, 475’ of 1-3/4” attack line, 20’ of 3” hard suction and 175’ of 3” supply line. 

Tender 1275 - 1993 Peterbilt/Walker 3500 gal.

One of four “Trail Blazer” model tankers in New Jersey, it replaced a 1968 Reo 4300 gallon tanker which held the distinction of being the largest in Hunterdon County. Equipped with a 12” rear and two 10” side dumps, it can offload its’ entire 3,500 gallon capacity in just 1 minute and 20 seconds!! Outfitted with four 5” intakes and 20’ of suction hose, it can refill at 1,500 gallons per minute.

Glen Gardner operates their entire fleet from this three bay firehouse featuring double deep bays. In addition to GGFC’s apparatus, Hunterdon Medical Center staffs a career paramedic response unit.