Berwyn Heights Vol. Fire Department

Prince George’s County Station 14

Organized in 1924, Berwyn Heights is located 5 miles Northeast of Washington, D.C.  inside the Capital Beltway. Protecting the communities   of Berwyn Heights, College Park & Greenbelt, this combination department is served by PG County career FF’s on weekdays from 0700-1500 with volunteers (including live-ins) staffing nights, weekends & holidays. Responding to over 3,000 alarms annually (including over 2,300 squad runs), Berwyn Heights is a “truckie’s dream” as their station operates strictly as a ladder & rescue company.    

Squad 14R (“Memphis Belle”) - 1990 Pemfab/Ranger

The predecessor to the current Squad 14 (and the one shown above), this rig is maintained as a spare.

Squad 14 - 2004 Seagrave/Marion 

With over 60 miles of highways as well as multiple fire box assignments in their response area, this

rig responds to well over 2,300 runs. Equipped with Amkus rescue tools, it seats eight firefighters. 

Truck 14 - 1991 Pemfab/LTI 106’ Tractor Drawn Aerial

Responding to over 700 alarms annually, Truck 14’s response area encompasses everything from single story homes to 18 story high rises. Replaced with a 2010 Seagrave 100’ tiller, it now operates as Truck 25 serving the Clinton (MD) VFD.  

OTHER STATES

FIREHOUSES

MONUMENTS

ARTWORK

SLOGANS

KITSCHY

ANTIQUES

FIREMATIC HISTORY

In over 20 years of visiting firehouses across the country, this was by far one of the most unique things I have ever seen.


In response to the tremendous amount  of extrications Squad 14 performs,

the members began “procuring” manufacturer nameplates off the vehicles involved. Virtually every vehicle on the road is represented - the emblems of high end vehicles (Mercedes, Cadillac) are prominently displayed in the center  of the boards along with those from particularly difficult extrications involving heavy duty rigs (Mack, Kenworth).

Squad 14 (Retired) - 1999 Seagrave/Saulsbury

Originally serving Berwyn Heights, this rig was involved in a roll over collision and was purchased by a gentleman in Lancaster County (PA) who took this on as a restoration project (he had never restored a fire truck before, let alone a damaged one). After successfully repairing it, the rig then entered service with the Annville (PA) FD in 2004 where it operates as Rescue 5 (“Main St. Express”).